Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Path to the show?

anon
Anon
What’s the best path to get drafted into NHL? Suppose I had a 15 year old son entering his sophomore year who is ahead of the curb by all accounts, producing at prep and doing the appropriate work. Does he stay put in school? Does he make jump to USHL? Does he entertain calls from other JR leagues?
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. You are f' clueless. You have a better shot at winning powerball so pls put your energy into that, and this is coming from someone who grew up in this game and played div 1 hockey
Excuse me former D1 hockey hero. Am I clueless for asking hockey people what the best path is? Not sure where I asked about the chances but thank you for looping me in. The question is real and I’d expect better from a stud like you. I could not care less about his minuscule chance of playing professionally but I do care about helping him play at the highest level. We recently skates with USHL programs and something’s mentioned by coaches peeked my interest. Not being a hockey guy like you, I figured I’d ask the board.

Is your kid a Unicorn? Thats what it takes. Size, Skill, Strength and Help..lots of help getting there.

Is that the right question to ask about going pro? What about how can hockey help your child be a better human being and one day can make him/her be a better sibling, son/daughter and one day a great parent. If the kids puts in the work he/she might save a few bucks playing hockey for a college which potentially could lead to a higher education and a good job! If your fortunate to be blessed with the skill set to continue on more power to the kid, because now he/she is playing with house money! My advice to you (the parent) is to change your mind set and have real achievable goals for your little one!

Anon
Is that the right question to ask about going pro? What about how can hockey help your child be a better human being and one day can make him/her be a better sibling, son/daughter and one day a great parent. If the kids puts in the work he/she might save a few bucks playing hockey for a college which potentially could lead to a higher education and a good job! If your fortunate to be blessed with the skill set to continue on more power to the kid, because now he/she is playing with house money! My advice to you (the parent) is to change your mind set and have real achievable goals for your little one!
lmao! I will repeat what a previous poster said : Club hockey is not the equivalent of D1 hockey. I repeat, club hockey is not the equivalent of ...Kudos to those that actually play D 1 hockey. Good job! And yes 99% will be skating with learn to skate adults in a few years! sorry. :grimacing:

best of the least
Anon
lmao! I will repeat what a previous poster said : Club hockey is not the equivalent of D1 hockey. I repeat, club hockey is not the equivalent of ...Kudos to those that actually play D 1 hockey. Good job! And yes 99% will be skating with learn to skate adults in a few years! sorry. :grimacing:
So what’s your suggestion on the path? Thanks for the future prediction.

Anon
Parenting advice? Nobody asked for parenting advice. The question is about the path to the NHL for an above average 15 year old who is performing well at Prep and getting noticed by USHL. It’s a unique situation that deserves an advisor or two.

Dear crazy hockey dad, if your kid is half as good as you think he is they will find him.

That's probably not good enough for you though so find a keyboard, make sure you have internet access and go to a website called "google". When you get there type in " hockey advisors near me". From that list use your mouse and click away to read about the hockey advisors near you. Word on the street is they even are nice enough to do a free consult. At said consult explain how your son is a 15 year old phenom and is headed to the show. Make sure you mention he is a unique case (cause he's your son).

If you aren't sure the advisor is being honest with you watch his reaction when you tell him all this. If he doesn't openly laugh at you and take a deep breath before sharing his thoughts, he isnt being honest. Go back to google and try the next one. Please be sure to report back to all of us.

Anon
Dear crazy hockey dad, if your kid is half as good as you think he is they will find him.

That's probably not good enough for you though so find a keyboard, make sure you have internet access and go to a website called "google". When you get there type in " hockey advisors near me". From that list use your mouse and click away to read about the hockey advisors near you. Word on the street is they even are nice enough to do a free consult. At said consult explain how your son is a 15 year old phenom and is headed to the show. Make sure you mention he is a unique case (cause he's your son).

If you aren't sure the advisor is being honest with you watch his reaction when you tell him all this. If he doesn't openly laugh at you and take a deep breath before sharing his thoughts, he isnt being honest. Go back to google and try the next one. Please be sure to report back to all of us.

Not a Fed player and we have talked to multiple advisors. Great points though king. Conflicting responses from many people we have talked to including his prep coach. USHL coaches have also been very careful to advise “do your own research” and “talk to as many people as you can” - Should I disregard what they are telling us?

Anon
Is your kid a Unicorn? Thats what it takes. Size, Skill, Strength and Help..lots of help getting there.
add mind, love of the game, deals well with adversity, is coachable, can take a hit, has hockey IQ. . . there is a lot that goes into 'making it.'

anon
Anon
add mind, love of the game, deals well with adversity, is coachable, can take a hit, has hockey IQ. . . there is a lot that goes into 'making it.'
Not questioning what it takes. Questioning the path of what others have taken. DBoard must not have much experience with this. Sorry.

OP
anon
Anon
add mind, love of the game, deals well with adversity, is coachable, can take a hit, has hockey IQ. . . there is a lot that goes into \'making it.\'
Not questioning what it takes. Questioning the path of what others have taken. DBoard must not have much experience with this. Sorry.
Now let’s be real honest. All you trying to convey here is that your kid is special. He might well be. But that’s not the point. You know well that you are not getting serious advice here so all that is to show off to make you feel better.

If your kid really is that good and in prep, you have by now learned where to get solid advice. Your son also has trained with good coaches that have at least someone in their vicinity that made it reasonable far. So really IF what you are saying is true then by now you have a network. So at best you came here to brag, more likely your kid is 10 and you made all this sh*t up.

No way, 10 year old hockey parents are more idiotic than the prep school daddy here. He's likely got a 15 year old he's bragging about. The kid likely has a solid 4 years of D3 college hockey in his future. Graduates college, becomes a cube monkey and dominates the over 30 mens league when he's in his mid 20's. Knocks a girl up out behind Skate 3 after one too many bud lights and not enough parking lot lighting. Will have a son of his own someday.

Kid will also play hockey and the dad can brag his kid is elite to his cube monkey friends.

A story as old as time.

Anon
No way, 10 year old hockey parents are more idiotic than the prep school daddy here. He's likely got a 15 year old he's bragging about. The kid likely has a solid 4 years of D3 college hockey in his future. Graduates college, becomes a cube monkey and dominates the over 30 mens league when he's in his mid 20's. Knocks a girl up out behind Skate 3 after one too many bud lights and not enough parking lot lighting. Will have a son of his own someday.

Kid will also play hockey and the dad can brag his kid is elite to his cube monkey friends.

A story as old as time.
Weird. Just asking about path to the show. Thanks for the look into the future goat.

My kid is so special
OP
anon
Anon
add mind, love of the game, deals well with adversity, is coachable, can take a hit, has hockey IQ. . . there is a lot that goes into \\\'making it.\\\'
Now let’s be real honest. All you trying to convey here is that your kid is special. He might well be. But that’s not the point. You know well that you are not getting serious advice here so all that is to show off to make you feel better.

If your kid really is that good and in prep, you have by now learned where to get solid advice. Your son also has trained with good coaches that have at least someone in their vicinity that made it reasonable far. So really IF what you are saying is true then by now you have a network. So at best you came here to brag, more likely your kid is 10 and you made all this sh*t up.

So no experience with a good 15 yo?

Dear OP,

Sorry you're getting nothing but garbage answers here, but if you have a HS sophomore, surely you have enough experience with the dboard to know that this is exactly what you were going to get asking a question like that.

Reality is, nobody on here has a kid that's going to the show, so asking questions here is asking the blind for directions. Wish I could give you some honest advice, but like everyone else here, my kid is a bender and I'm just hoping he'll get to play varsity prep at some point.

If you really want to know the path, at a minimum you should be asking this question on the HS/juniors board and maybe you'll have better luck and fewer yahoos there.

Good luck.

anon
Dear OP,

Sorry you\'re getting nothing but garbage answers here, but if you have a HS sophomore, surely you have enough experience with the dboard to know that this is exactly what you were going to get asking a question like that.

Reality is, nobody on here has a kid that\'s going to the show, so asking questions here is asking the blind for directions. Wish I could give you some honest advice, but like everyone else here, my kid is a bender and I\'m just hoping he\'ll get to play varsity prep at some point.

If you really want to know the path, at a minimum you should be asking this question on the HS/juniors board and maybe you\'ll have better luck and fewer yahoos there.

Good luck.
Thanks for making my point…..again.

My kid is so special
anon
Dear OP,

Sorry you\\\'re getting nothing but garbage answers here, but if you have a HS sophomore, surely you have enough experience with the dboard to know that this is exactly what you were going to get asking a question like that.

Reality is, nobody on here has a kid that\\\'s going to the show, so asking questions here is asking the blind for directions. Wish I could give you some honest advice, but like everyone else here, my kid is a bender and I\\\'m just hoping he\\\'ll get to play varsity prep at some point.

If you really want to know the path, at a minimum you should be asking this question on the HS/juniors board and maybe you\\\'ll have better luck and fewer yahoos there.

Good luck.
Thanks for making my point…..again.
Ok ok you win. This is a 14 year old who wanted to waste grown mens time lol LOOOOOOOOSERS HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA. D1 hockey mention hahahahaha Nice Bro

There are 2 kinds of players, the 1% born gifted and identified early like the the top pros, and the rest that are not at that level but still top players. To go up the ladder, these have to work harder than everyone else (not just say they do) along with having the right contacts to push them along.
The first group doesn't really matter the path, that will be decided for them. The rest need to play at the highest level they can every step of the way and also have trusted hockey people in their corner to promote them over the rest of the 99%.

anon
There are 2 kinds of players, the 1% born gifted and identified early like the the top pros, and the rest that are not at that level but still top players. To go up the ladder, these have to work harder than everyone else (not just say they do) along with having the right contacts to push them along.
The first group doesn't really matter the path, that will be decided for them. The rest need to play at the highest level they can every step of the way and also have trusted hockey people in their corner to promote them over the rest of the 99%.
Soooooo you're saying there's a chance???

This thread is a real indicator of the uselessness of this board.

This board has been useful to me for a few things. There is a lot of sarcasm and people who seem to think hockey parents are obsessed.

Most parents have some amount of ‘obsession’ over whatever activity their kid is doing. You should see dance moms.