Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prep School Coaching Questions

It depends. Not surprisingly, some of the top hockey prep programs like Salisbury, AOF, KUA, and Cushing have highly respected coaches who have been coaching for decades, many in the college and professional ranks as well as prep. They know how to identify talent, recruit, and develop players and teams that win year in and year out. They also have broad networks to find players, and then help move players on. But because of their success and track records, good players often find them first and reach out.

Anonymous
It depends. Not surprisingly, some of the top hockey prep programs like Salisbury, AOF, KUA, and Cushing have highly respected coaches who have been coaching for decades, many in the college and professional ranks as well as prep. They know how to identify talent, recruit, and develop players and teams that win year in and year out. They also have broad networks to find players, and then help move players on. But because of their success and track records, good players often find them first and reach out.
I wouldn’t put PP in the same category as the others. Guy gets canned everywhere he goes, Cushing is at a crossroads

It sounds like the original poster is angling for side skills sessions during the season from the head coach of a top prep school team. That's not their job. They do it in the offseason...and some assistant coaches do it during the season. But the head coach's job during the season is to coach the team, and your kid will get better as a result of being part of a well-coached team. Being a good hockey player is a lot more than just skill development picked up from 1x1 skills coaching.

Anon
It sounds like the original poster is angling for side skills sessions during the season from the head coach of a top prep school team. That's not their job. They do it in the offseason...and some assistant coaches do it during the season. But the head coach's job during the season is to coach the team, and your kid will get better as a result of being part of a well-coached team. Being a good hockey player is a lot more than just skill development picked up from 1x1 skills coaching.
I took the original question to mean are there prep coaches who are super hands on and have a special knack for really developing players and making them improve leaps and bounds to get to the next level. My sense is some coaches are more hands on in terms of on-ice skill work than others, but really coaches focus on recruiting the team and then coaching the team during the season: teaching a system, leading video review, motivating, putting lineups together, setting expectations, etc.

Anonymous
Anon
It sounds like the original poster is angling for side skills sessions during the season from the head coach of a top prep school team. That\'s not their job. They do it in the offseason...and some assistant coaches do it during the season. But the head coach\'s job during the season is to coach the team, and your kid will get better as a result of being part of a well-coached team. Being a good hockey player is a lot more than just skill development picked up from 1x1 skills coaching.
I took the original question to mean are there prep coaches who are super hands on and have a special knack for really developing players and making them improve leaps and bounds to get to the next level. My sense is some coaches are more hands on in terms of on-ice skill work than others, but really coaches focus on recruiting the team and then coaching the team during the season: teaching a system, leading video review, motivating, putting lineups together, setting expectations, etc.
The KUA coach is fantastic

Tony Harrington
Anonymous
Anon
It sounds like the original poster is angling for side skills sessions during the season from the head coach of a top prep school team. That\\\'s not their job. They do it in the offseason...and some assistant coaches do it during the season. But the head coach\\\'s job during the season is to coach the team, and your kid will get better as a result of being part of a well-coached team. Being a good hockey player is a lot more than just skill development picked up from 1x1 skills coaching.
The KUA coach is fantastic
TW is one of the best in the biz. Good guy, good coach

This is helpful color. Do the kids at boarding school get to take advantage of the ice at the school in the offseason for extra training or are they doing other fall & spring sports? The prep school season is very short - no? It would seem that it would be hard to develop as a player given the short season when those not at prep school are skating a few times per week at least from august - march and then very likely through the spring and early summer on those teams.

PreppyQuestions
This is helpful color. Do the kids at boarding school get to take advantage of the ice at the school in the offseason for extra training or are they doing other fall & spring sports? The prep school season is very short - no? It would seem that it would be hard to develop as a player given the short season when those not at prep school are skating a few times per week at least from august - march and then very likely through the spring and early summer on those teams.
Mine is a girl but she has been skating since she arrived at school 3 weeks ago on their rink. Wide open.

I would be asking what exotic snizz can my son sample if he attends one of
These elite institutions. You know B-Rad™️ Was an international peace ambassador during his time at Deerfield. I especially had strong relations with the people of Canada and several Asian countries.

PreppyQuestions
Again, it depends on the school. Some places put ice down pretty much right away (or have it up year-round); other places don't put it down until mid-October. Generally the kids at prep focused on hockey play games for a split-season team on weekends in the fall while training and skating during the week at their schools. The prep season starts around Thanksgiving and goes until February or early March, depending on who makes the tournaments at the end of the year. The better teams get around 30 prep games; less good teams play around twenty. After the season, even the top kids at the top prep hockey schools play a spring sport just to get a break from the game. Then they get back to training and skating over the summer.

Anonymous
PreppyQuestions
Again, it depends on the school. Some places put ice down pretty much right away (or have it up year-round); other places don't put it down until mid-October. Generally the kids at prep focused on hockey play games for a split-season team on weekends in the fall while training and skating during the week at their schools. The prep season starts around Thanksgiving and goes until February or early March, depending on who makes the tournaments at the end of the year. The better teams get around 30 prep games; less good teams play around twenty. After the season, even the top kids at the top prep hockey schools play a spring sport just to get a break from the game. Then they get back to training and skating over the summer.
My sons school puts ice up end of October. Until then the boys are skating outside the school and are focusing on fall sports.

Anonymous
Anonymous
I wouldn’t put PP in the same category as the others. Guy gets canned everywhere he goes, Cushing is at a crossroads
PP could have took a asst. coaching job in college , chose Cushing , looking to bring that program back