Visit The DBoard Online Store - https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: WHO ARE THE BEST 2011 & 2010 COACHES IN MA?

Best youth hockey coaches are the ones who create a team learning environment. Good coaches will push kids to be responsible, have a good work ethic, and teach them how to be discipline. Wins and losses are not very important at youth hockey if the coach isn’t polishing them for life. Too many kids fail at hockey once they enter high school because of their attitude and youth hockey coaches play a huge role through very important years of growing up.

Anon
Best youth hockey coaches are the ones who create a team learning environment. Good coaches will push kids to be responsible, have a good work ethic, and teach them how to be discipline. Wins and losses are not very important at youth hockey if the coach isn’t polishing them for life. Too many kids fail at hockey once they enter high school because of their attitude and youth hockey coaches play a huge role through very important years of growing up.
One of the more intelligent posts I've seen on here. I think a lot of coaches fall into the trap of playing to the parents who are screaming at their 10 year old to skate. Same parents that lose their mind when their kid's team gets scored on.
The good coach's cut those parents and let them be a cancer somewhere else.

I often see people say, who cares, they are 11 and 12. Of course some people care, particularly parents who have a kid who is 11/12 or younger. People care what kind of coach their 6 and 7 year old have. It does matter to them.

I also don't see the big deal if someone yells at their kid to skate. Should everyone just sit in silence watching youth hockey?

pretty sure the kids know they are supposed to skate. That's not the issue. The issue is the dad or mom who throws a temper tantrum like a child in the stands when their little one fails, probably yells at them on the car ride home. If you want them to quit hockey keep doing that you're 100% on the right track. You can take a nice vacation and wont have to worry about them missing games.

Coach
pretty sure the kids know they are supposed to skate. That's not the issue. The issue is the dad or mom who throws a temper tantrum like a child in the stands when their little one fails, probably yells at them on the car ride home. If you want them to quit hockey keep doing that you're 100% on the right track. You can take a nice vacation and wont have to worry about them missing games.
I personally don't scream if my kid does something wrong but I might groan to myself. Who doesn't? No yelling after or on the ride home.

I do know of one dad who screams and yells at his kid on the ice. Kid is very good and I'm guessing the coach is not getting rid of that kid anytime soon just because of the parent. We'll see what happens.

I can tell you what happens, the kid likely quits hockey once he's old enough to recognize he doesn't want to go to the rink and be embarrassed by his parents in front of his buddies and then get yelled at on the car ride home. I've seen that episode once or twice before.

As a coach of older age groups no real coach even asks where the kid played his squirt/peewee/or bantam hockey. Put them on the ice, see how they interact with others when a good play happens. See how they interact with their teammates when a bad play happens.

If they know how to skate and have reasonable on ice intelligence, then as parents you have done your job. I have my own kids in youth club programs. Infrequently help out at a practice here or there if short a coach, but want nothing to do with parents kissing the coach's ass, yelling and screaming. I'm sitting back and enjoying watching my kids play and letting them learn from their mistakes. What I see is most of these teams have a couple dad coach's who just need to feel important and really don't have a lot to offer in terms of development. Usually the coach's kid is a total punk but gets away with it cause his dad is there to cover his butt. Fortunately they both have a decent coach who has a perspective on it. But god bless em for doing god's work and coaching our future public high school players

Anon
Anon
One of the more intelligent posts I've seen on here. I think a lot of coaches fall into the trap of playing to the parents who are screaming at their 10 year old to skate. Same parents that lose their mind when their kid's team gets scored on.
The good coach's cut those parents and let them be a cancer somewhere else.
Good coaches recognize the problem parents and get rid of them. Sometimes it hurts the team but it is well worth it.

Greg McLean Boston Americans best hands down

Any more coach’s wives want to throw their husbands name out there. I know a couple who r just itching to pull the trigger

Best 2010
Greg McLean Boston Americans best hands down
If more than half your team walking away over the last 3 years because you’re wound tighter than a frigid nun is good coaching…then sure.

Greg McLean That guy is the biggest tool I’ve ever met.

McLean is a totally self absorbed ego maniac. Biggest tool I ever met. I wouldn’t let him near my kid.

2011 Islanders elite and 2011 BJT elite - most people know this

anon
Yeah thanks to their connections.

Thanks to their connections? What do you mean?

Because they played D1 college and then different levels of pro? I would think playing at a high level is a good thing for a coach, no? Because one has a brother who was an elite NHL player? Again, wouldn’t he learn something from his brother?

I just don’t get people who always complain about coaches or caveat anyone who is a good coach. What do you want? Just someone who tells you how great your kid is? Is there anything you have to offer from a hockey coaching / teaching standpoint that these coaches aren’t already doing?

anon
Serious question - why these two? My kid plays for one of them so I guess he's lucky?

anon
anon
Serious question - why these two? My kid plays for one of them so I guess he's lucky?
a lot of the same stuff gets talked about over and over here

2010 ihc platinum coaches.
Some of the Best I’ve seen around hockey in 40 years. Well worth putting your kid on that team if you can. They say find good coaches and follow them. There’s very well better out there but they’re very very good.