Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rod choices YOAdrien and anyone else Possible place for the heartland rods

YOAdrien awsome Hope it works out for you.

Erin

Re: Rod choices

i have the yellow eagle claws and the okuma blue diamond downrigger ml 8foot 6 rods. the okuma has a better blank, soft but responsive as the eagle claws have a more dead action. the handle takes a while to get used to though, big trangular forgrip is a littler uncomfortable at first, but is easier to hold bigger reels stable when you get used to it. i use it for the down rigger as well as the planer board. i use 4 pound test with it so its fine for what we do. its always used on the planer as it has a gimbal mount that locks it in place which is needed on my boat so i can lock the guides away from the planer line which always seems to come around and hit the rods

Re: Re: Rod choices

Had great luck with these downrigger rods.
Shakespheare BWD 1101 9'0 ft Ugly Stik Downrigger rod, fiberglass/light action 6-20 lb. This is there standard downrigger rod.
Also I have Shakespheare Cateva IM-8 grafite rods, model DR6080 8' med - light action. I consider it an ultra light rod and real whippy but strong enough for downrigger use.

Re: Re: Re: Rod choices

Awesome guys, thank you for your input.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rod choices

I use invincible guide select rods model #4200-86mstc2 with okuma magda 20 reels , great setup 8'6 rod medium action line weight 8-15 lb bought them at wildlife taxidermy for 20 bucks .also have shimano downrigger rods but they are medium to heavy a bit to heavy for salmon around here so I use them for strippers "reel it in "