Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: dealing with a controlling/ manipulative soon to be ex

First of all, I truly believe that when somebody accuses another of cheating, they're probably doing it themselves. What state do you live in? Do you both have jobs? If your name wasn't on the mortgage of your marital house, would you qualify for a loan? I ask these questions because if he is the primary bread winner, then many states require payment of child support to the parent with residential custody. Sounds like you really need an attorney..ASAP. My attorney accepts credit cards. I wonder if you'd be able to aquire an interest free credit card just to get the ball rolling. Maybe you could use that card to pay a retainer fee....just a thought. If you could retain a lawyer, he/she would be able to advise you how to handle the mortgage situation. Since you are paying for the mortgage...who knows...the court might order HIM to move out.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Re: dealing with a controlling/ manipulative soon to be ex

Best thing I did was to get a good attorney. My picture still doesn't look too rosy, but much better than it would have otherwise. My stbx is also very controlling and manipulative and he, too, thought we could do this with one attorney-HIS! I was fortunate in that my dad offered to pay the retainer fee for my attorney. Shop around, some will take payments.

So what happens if you don't pay the mortgage? Is his name on it, too? I'm at the point that my credit is so shot (thanks a lot X) that it really doesn't matter much if I pay my mortgage or not. I'll lose the house anyway. I didn't pay it this month 'cause my stbx has paid NOTHING this month, and my attorney is hot after my X for that payment. He believes a judge will rule in my favor if we have to go that route.

Get an attorney one way or another. Good luck. Let us know how it's going for you.