Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Husband's Depression Issues

My stbx is dealing with depression and has been for many years. At least that's my opinion as he's not been diagnosed. The changes in him have been beyond belief. He won't admit he has a problem and he will not seek help. At one point he did consider the possibility and went to a counselor once. He must have heard something he didn't like because he never returned, and a few months later decided that the problem was definitely me and he needed to be out of the marriage. No consideration to the fact that he hadn't dealt with his horrible childhood, his controlling father, his crazy mother, his abusive grandfather, his job loss, his feelings of failure at every turn. I have chosen not to be involved or care how he s doing in any ways that do not affect our children. So honestly I don't know how he's doing, but he's still drinking like crazy...something he didn't do when I met, dated and married him. (Social drinker yes-over drinking never.) I finally decided that I couldn't help him if he didn't want my help, and when he turned his back on our marriage I let it become his problem. I don't guess I offered you any encouragement her, just my story. It may sound cold, but I have tried for years to help him. I have stood by him through all of his craziness. I have 'had his back' when the rest of the world turned on him. It wasn't enough. I can't give him any more. Good luck with this.

Re: Husband's Depression Issues

You can try here
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression/men-and-depression/index.shtml
but nothing will help if he won't admit it or if he doesn't want help. Some people get accustomed to the darkness and getting out is too scary. Good luck, you are kind to try to help. Personally I wouldn't bother, mine claims depression now and then, whatever, he certainly never helped me, I'll return the favor