Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Heartbroken...

Becky is right - you are not alone. This is a good site to get some support, we are all going through a terrible, challenging time, each ladies experience is different and yet also similar. Your situation sounds somewhat similar to mine. I am going to be 53 later this month and my husband has been the center of my universe for 32 years. We have four grown children, one granchild, and another due next month. Our marriage has had ups and downs but whose doesn't. I always believed that once the busy time of raising kids was past, we would be able to come back together like young lovers and that was happening until my husband went 1400 miles to his high school reunion last summer. He kept his secret for 2 months until August when I found out that he had run into an old friend and wanted to divorce me and move across country to be with her. I was completely blindsided and devastated. Still am 6 months later but that is probably due to my decision to work on my marriage, even though my husband assured me there was no chance of things working out between us. We have continued to live together and I have been the most devoted, loving wife possible. He was a wonderful support and did everything he could to be my best friend during the first very hard months. IN the beginning the situation caused us to talk a lot about all our issues. The closeness of that caused me to fall more in love with him than ever, even though I understood the risk. Unfortuately, our time is ticking to a close and I am not going to be the winner. Lately, I feel him slipping away from me, so much that I swear he becomes more distant by the day. I am having a hard time accepting that this is really going to happen. This is the hardest, biggest struggle of my life and I am going to lose the father of my children and the love of my life. There is so much pain, so much of my life is destroyed by his selfishness, yet I am somehow unable to stop loving him. In truth, I can barely summon anger, I am still too caught up in the overwhelming sadness. I know that I will love him forever, and even though I am the kind of woman who loves being part of a couple, who loves a man's attention, I am sickened by the idea of ever replacing my husband.
I too have told no one except two trusted friends. It's not so much that I am ashamed, although at first I did feel that I had failed as a woman if I couldn't keep my man. That has passed but I still am unable to imagine hearing the sympathy I know I will get without bursting into tears. I want, no, I NEED to be able to explain the situation without tears before everyone knows.
Enough about myself. Somehow writing here helps purge my feeling for at least a little while. Hang in there Heartbroken. I have to believe it will get better for all of us. I will add you to my prayers and if you're a praying woman I'd appreciate it if you'd do the same for me.

Re: Heartbroken...

Thank you Becky and Alone for replying to my post and sharing your stories and insight.

This past weekend, I found out that my husband is a cheater after all and I made another post about it for everyone to read. I am absolutely stunned and heartbroken right now...

Becky-thank you for your words of encouragement and support-I needed them!

Alone-what you said about trying to work things out with your husband is so heartbreakingly sad. My heart breaks for you. Trying to save our marriage is what I want to do with my husband too, but after reading your story and judging by my husband's behavior it probably won't work for us either. The writing is on the wall, I fear. He has to want our marriage just as much I do and I don't think he does-not when he has a thin sexy woman in the picture. I think he just feels guilty about lying and pity for me. Not much to base a marriage on. You know, I never ever thought this man would do this to me. Not after knowing me for 30 years and being there with me when my mom was killed in a car accident and I was broken in a million pieces. What he has done is unbelievably cruel because he knew I was already broken in the first place. I hope I hear from you again, Alone, and thank you again, I appreciate it more than you could ever know.