Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
This is a Whitefish

They are extinct in most of their natural range and exist a bit in northern Maine now. Lots of places with them in the upper midwest also.

This one is a Lake Whitefish it's cousin the Round Whitefish looks similar but more of a round shape like a tube rather than the Lake Whitefish's salmon shape.

Re: This is a Whitefish

Yo Ad - I could not view the Whitefish pic. BTW - I'd like to post a couple pics with a report on Moosehead if you could advise how to do so on the board...

Eric

Re: Re: This is a Whitefish

Adrien... I take it your brother catches those at his camp? Are they good eating or a "junk" fish?

Re: Re: This is a Whitefish

it takes some time to do, i will help you with it on saturday.

i am going to bed now i have a double of charters tomorrow. From dawn to dark i am going to be pooped.

try the pic again it should work, if you only get the x box, right click it and select show picture.

Re: Re: Re: This is a Whitefish

they are not trash, i love them. he catches them a lot his lake has probably the best population of them anywhere. in new England. they fight like a bull and will take dry flies in the evening and spoons trolled on bottom in the day ice fishing they are the best fighters on a light jig stick.

Re: Re: Re: This is a Whitefish

Thanks Yo. If its easier for me to e-mail the pics (3-4?) and for you to explain later thats fine.

...My wife only sorta understands the concept of being REALLY tired after getting up at 3:30 am to "fish." Two charters must be killer salmon fishing. I hope the weather is good for you..

-Eric

Re: Re: Re: Re: This is a Whitefish

Eric... if my post above makes no sense to you... send me the pics and I'll post them tonight. We'll let Adrien get some shuteye... he has to be up in about 5 hours to make it to winni on time.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is a Whitefish

Slp / craig - thanks for the offer. I'll try and work through your instructions and see if I can make it work first. I'm losing steam too so I'll get some sleep and work on this tomorrow. I've got to get my notebook out of the boat now before bed...its finally not raining.

-Eric

Re: This is a Whitefish

i had never seen one til i went fishing out in montana, they are a blast on a fly rod. some consider them a junk fish out there, but for catch and release they can be great.

Re: Of Mice, Salmon & whitefish?

Your fish sounds like a fallfish. Are really a big chub and fairly common in many NH lakes. Give a good fight on light tackle.

Crawfish

Re: Re: Of Mice, Salmon & whitefish?

In Northern Maine, deep in the Allagash :)we ground up the meat, mixed it with mayo, and ate it like tuna. I beleive they still sell it in the grocery stores mixed up that way. Great eating , could never catch any myself though....