Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Starving and cold in NH

Thank you. I have contacted various agencies. They are all overloaded because of the economy, with people being out of work and needing assistance.

I think there should be a law to protect sick and disabled spouses in case their husband or wife abandons them. Mine especially because he makes enough money to take care of me even if he doesn't want to live with me. He is just being selfish and he has thrown me away and dumped me on social services. Its just not right.

I posted my story on another website and got reply's like "You can't expect the taxpayers to take care of you". "You can't make him stay with you"

I don't want him to stay with me, I can't stand to look at his lying cheating face, but he should be responsible for taking care of me.

Joy

Hi there,

I'm really not good at giving advice, but I thought that you can request alimony in a divorce, right? I don't think you need a lawyer for that... I could be wrong.

I'm sorry for the way people are treating you, including him. You just need support right now. I don't know why he is acting like that, but maybe he is just scared. But think about it, when you recover everything will be all better.

It sounds like you have a home, so it's more financial assistance..
You are considered separated as to getting assistance for some things the move out date of the spouse (in my state this is the law).
If you haven't, check out if you qualify for electric & phone assistance.
many hospitals also have programs that they do not advertise, for financial assistance/ same with the doctor's that are associated with them.
Aging agencies often have their resource books online with much information..
I think it's federal, the, homestead taxes, & food sales tax, for elderly/disabled (again maybe you could file right away & electronically).
As to filing for divorce, it's best to get an attorney however, if one has to, it is possible to do so, pro se.
You can get info online through the court website.
I think I have heard advice here that one might trying calling an attorney to see if they would be willing to take a case pro bono.
There's legal aid, but that usually still costs.
If you can? Maybe just try to get yourself grounded, then deal one step at a time with the divorce proceedings.. or at least get some counsel, even battered women's as he left you high & dry..
I will pray for you!
Hugs.