Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Anger

They are gone. If I am going to eventually bare my naked body for another man, I really need to scrap that habit!

OK, with this one you might be categorizing me as a complete nut, if you haven't already. A few years ago I was taking a psych course for my master's program. A small portion of the class involved reading about Choice Theory. (If anyone is an expert here and I misspeak, please don't jump down my throat ) Anyway the jist is that you have a choice-you ALWAYS have a choice. I chewed on this one a long time. It wasn't my choice that Jerk didn't want to be with me. It wasn't my choice that Jerk was spending money faster than he could make it. It wasn't my choice Jerk was drinking, etc. But it WAS my choice how I chose to react to each of those situations. I could choose to be sad or I could choose to be happy. I could choose to be angry or I could choose to smile. I could choose to fight or I could choose to walk away, etc. This line of thinking has really helped me. I am choosing to be happy. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't always work, I'm not always happy and such, but it does give me control. I need to have control of my life, and this, at least in part, gives it to me. The more I practice this thinking, the better it works.

I really enjoyed your post. It actually made me think about the choices and decisions I have made. And yes sometimes it was to make him happy even though I was not happy. It also was not my choice to get divorced but, going forward I now realize I need to make choices about what is going to make me happy. It some how feels selfish but, I am really trying to focus on me! No one person can make me happy but myself. Again I really enjoyed your post and it has given me a lot to think about. Thanks!!