Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Contemplating Divorce Forced to Wait - Just Need to Tell Someone

I agree with the others, my first thoughts when I read your post is you might want to go before you have a good job. I am hoping to meet with lawyers soon. I have chosen three to meet and see which one I feel most comfortable with. I think you should go to one or more (many offer free consultations, even if you go to one you don't want to stick with you can still get some information) and find out what is the best thing to do. I am in a similar situation, change coming up, not sure when is the right time to file, so I will get the advice of a local expert! Protect yourself, sounds like he'll take you for everything, so just make sure you are OK and your hard work and determination doesn't line his lazy pockets!

Wow! Thanksa for the replies. I didn't even think of ME paying alimony to HIM. That would really be the cicing on the cake, wouldn't it? I am going to take your advice. I used to work as a legal secretary in the automotive industry, so one of my ex-bosses who is also a good friend is an attorney. ALthough she's not a divorce atty, I can contact her to ask for a couple of recommendations for good divorce attys. I have already planned to reroute a goodly portion of my non-401(k) money to my kids' names to prevent him from getting it from me in the divorce. Thanks you so very much for your advice. Allie

re routing money to your kids will not help you any at this point. If he know it exists then he can claim half of it, if he does not know anything about it then make sure he never finds out.